On August 14, 1951, the Augustine Beach Fire Company was organized. We had one fire engine purchased from the Minquas Fire Company in Newport, DE by Sam Green. He bought the pump, engine, hose and coats for a mere $500. The engine was kept in a building behind the old Augustine Beach Hotel which was owned by Tommy Texis.
Between 1956 and 1957, the engine was moved to another location and the fire company began to hold meetings in the home of a family in Port Penn. On August 8, 1957 a new fire engine was purchased for $12,300.
The Augustine Beach Fire Company became the PORT PENN VOLUNTEER FIRE COMPANY on December 3, 1957 and was accepted into the Delaware Volunteer Fireman's Association.
The Port Penn Volunteer Fire Company has come a long way since the days of being a one pieced apparatus company. Today, we have a tanker, engine, rescue, field piece, two marine units, and an ambulance.
For 50 years, we have been proud to serve the town of Port Penn and surrounding areas.
As researched by Linda Beck, 1976.
Help us to continue making a difference in our community. Please make a donation to the Port Penn Fire Company today.